The following brief story is published with the permission of the person who shared it with us when they contacted us for a referral from our Special Kind of Clergy Directory. We offered what spiritual support we could and successfully connected them with a listening priest in a member jurisdiction of the Assembly of Canonical Orthodox Bishops of the United States of America.
Please read our friend’s story as a companion piece to:
- “Transgenderism” Isn’t a Thing
- Message from Orthodox Youth to the Church: Stop. Hurting. Us.
- Priest to Mother, “Better Your Transgender Child Were Dead”
- At Age 13 I Begged God to Kill Me
- Bishop to Bishop: Straight from Confession to Suicide
- Orthodox Sermons and Near Suicide
- and Metropolitan Nathanael of Chicago’s appeal to priests and monastics to stop harming LGBTQI people.
On Sunday morning, October 13, a very young Orthodox adult who is navigating their way through gender dysphoria visited a new Orthodox parish.
The priest took a gratuitous snipe at “gender confusion” in his sermon. The woman standing beside our friend muttered her assent.
Our friend fled.
Is this pleasing to the Good Shepherd?